Road Traffic Safety (RTS) Management Systems -Requirements with Guidance for Use
ISO 39001 standard specifies the requirements for developing, implementing, maintaining and improving a road traffic safety (RTS) management system to enable an organization that interacts with the road traffic system to reduce death and serious injuries related to road traffic crashes which it can influence. It is estimated that thousands of people are injured or killed in traffic accidents worldwide every year. This traffic safety standard aims to contribute in reducing traffic accidents incidents, in support of the United Nations’ ambitious goal of preventing five million road traffic deaths by 2020.
This standard can be used by any organisation, regardless of its size, scope, field of business, public or private, to develop and implement a road traffic safety (RTS) management system.
ISO 39001 provides requirements for establishing road traffic safety (RTS) management system elements, including establishing RTS policy, objectives and action plans. Such management system must take into account legal and other requirements to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws. The RTS must also include information about elements and criteria related to RTS that the organisation identifies as those which it can control and those which it can influence.
Achieving ISO 39001 Road Traffic Safety (RTS) management system certification will help your organisation:
- Align your road traffic safety management practices to international best practices and standards.
- Identify elements and criteria of road traffic safety the organisation can control or influence.
- Identify road traffic safety threats and risks related to the organisation and establish risk treatment plans and controls.
- Achieve cost efficiencies in managing and maintaining road traffic safety processes.
- Develop and implement verified road traffic safety objectives and targets.
- Promote your leadership in supporting national and global road traffic safety objectives.
- Establish a framework for monitoring and improving road traffic safety management practices related to the organisation.